The approach of Jordan Yuam, Taylor Lautner’s trainer towards muscle building is interesting. Yuam believes that “the less muscle you have, the easier it is to gain muscle mass more quickly.”
This is exactly the direction he took in helping Lautner develop his amazing physique. But with the training and help from Yuam, Lautner became a hunk of a man that is rightly fitted for his role in the blockbuster movie series “Twilight.”
With his amazing physique, he quickly captured the hearts of younger women all over the world, and the admiration of men of his age as well.
Fundamental Approach of the Workout
Basically, Yuam devised a workout plan that required Lautner to lift weights heavier than he could lift. Instead of just 120 pound, Yuam required Lautner to lift 170 pounds. However, he limited Lautner’s exercise routine to just five reps and from two to three sets.
Yuam was careful not to overwork Lautner’s muscles. So he only required Lautner to work out five days a week. Every third day is a rest day to enable Lautner’s muscles to recover and heal.
The Taylor Lautner Workout
Before Lautner starts his workout, he usually spends from 5 to 10 minutes on the treadmill as his warm up.
Monday – focus of the workout is on his legs
- Calf raises, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Reverse lunges, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Single leg squats, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Standing long jumps, 12 reps and 3 sets
Tuesday – focus is on his abs and back muscles
- Abdominal crunches, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Planks, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Hanging knee raises, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Wide grip pull-ups, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Dead lifts with dumbbells, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Pull downs, 12 reps and 3 sets
Wednesday – rest day
Thursday – focus is on the shoulders and chest
- Push-ups, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Dips, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Push-ups with feet on a Pilates ball, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Shoulder press with dumbbells, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Incline bench press with dumbbells, 12 reps and 3 sets
Friday – focus is on the arms
- Bench dips, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Close grip push-ups, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Incline dumbbell curls, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Barbell curls, 12 reps and 3 sets
- Rope push downs, 12 reps and 3 sets
Saturday and Sunday – rest days
Recommendations of a Fitness Expert
Wishing for a body like Taylor Lautner is fine. But remember, he was able to develop that kind of physique through time and patience. He has been training for a number of years and is probably taking steroids to help sculpt some of his body parts.
In other words, if you are just starting now, or even if you have been doing it for a couple of years, it would be better to do a full body workout.
Recommended Workout Plan for the Beginner
The recommended workout designed by a fitness expert is as follows:
- Leg press – 3 sets x 12 reps for each side
- Squats – 3 sets x 5 reps
- Pull ups – 3 sets x 10-12 reps
- Hammer curls – 4 sets x 10 reps on each side
- Shoulder press – 3 sets x 8-10 reps
- 1 arm row – 2 sets x 8 reps/side
- 1 arm cable extensions – 4 sets x 12-15 reps for each side
2 Tuesday – rest day
- Incline press – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Bench press – 3 sets x 8 reps
- Wide grip seated cable row – 3 sets x 8 reps
- DB lunges – 4 sets x 10 reps/side
- Seated lateral raises – 4 sets x 15 reps
- Pull ups – 3 sets x 10-12 reps
4 Thursday – rest day
- Hyperextension (to make it more productive, use some weights) – 3 sets x 12 reps
- Romanian deadlift – 4 sets x 6 reps
- Pull ups – 2 sets x 10-12 reps
- Dips (use some weights to make it more productive) – 4 sets x 8-10 reps
- Skull crushers – 4 sets x 12-15 reps
- DB curls – 4 sets x 10 reps on each side
You might be wondering why these workouts do not include any exercise for your abs. The main reason is that if you are already performing pull ups, lunges, and deadlifts, you are already engaging your abs. They are forced to act as your stabilizers.
These exercises require you to involve your entire core and make them work as you do the routines. However, if you really have no abs muscles at all, you can do weighted cable crunches from 15 to 20 reps and in 3 sets. Doing these two times a week will produce results.
With the alternative workout plan, you can still manifest a great body similar to that of Taylor Lautner without so much sweat and tears. Since you are not really a movie star, you don’t have to undergo a very rigorous training to achieve an amazing body. You can do that with less stress and strain.